The Allegheny County Data Warehouse brings together and integrates client and service data from a wide variety of sources both internal and external to the County. It was created by consolidating publicly-funded human services data (e.g., behavioral health, child welfare, developmental supports, homelessness and aging) and, over time, expanded to include data from other sources. The Data Warehouse was made possible with support from the Human Service Integration Fund, a flexible funding pool created by a coalition of local foundations for the purpose of supporting integration and innovation within DHS.
The Data Warehouse was designed primarily to improve services to clients, but also to improve the ability of workers to perform their jobs and to support management decisionmaking; it is also intended to be available as a community resource, making data and information publicly available whenever possible.
The Data Warehouse in the Media and External Research
The Allegheny County Data Warehouse has been studied extensively, written about in a number of publications and recognized for its innovation in information technology. A selection of articles that appeared in national publications, as well as a podcast and a DHS-presented paper about the Data Warehouse, are available below.
- How Data Powers Help for Families
PostIndustrial.Com, January 27, 2021
- Software for the Social Good: One County’s Model Warehouse
Government Technology, December 1, 2017
- How Allegheny County’s Data Warehouse is improving human services through integrated data
GovInnovator podcast, February 17, 2016
- Data Warehouses: Using New Technology to Improve Human Services Administration
Re-Issue of June 11, 2014 article below
Government Technology, June 12, 2014
- Allegheny County, Pennsylvania: Department of Human Services’ Data Warehouse
Data-Smart City Solutions, Harvard University, June 11, 2014
- Gaining Ground: A Guide to Facilitating Technology Innovation in Human Services
Data-Smart City Solutions, Harvard University, May 28, 2014
- Allegheny County’s Data Warehouse: Leveraging Data to Enhance Human Service Programs and Policies
University of Pennsylvania, May 2014
- Human Services: Sustained and Coordinated Efforts Could Facilitate Data-Sharing While Protecting Privacy
U.S. Government Accountability Office, February 2013